Last updated: Jul 2020
Masters of City Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, expected 2022
MA in Civic Media: Art and Practice, Emerson College, 2018
BA in Economics, Rice University, 2014
Freelance Creative Director / Digital Producer, 2014 - Present
- Clients include the National Democratic Institute, the Center for Global Women’s Health Technologies at Duke University, the Community Biotechnology Initiative at the MIT Media Lab, and the MIT Open Documentary Lab.
UX Designer, Green River, 2020
- Designed interfaces for exploring COVID-19 data for a U.S. state platform.
- Facilitated a series of user research workshops with state government clients around a homeless data management system.
Civic Designer & Project Manager, Engagement Lab, Emerson College, 2018 - 2019
- Designed a participatory design methodology for writing a 360° film screenplay in prison; conducted interviews, reviewed interdisciplinary literature.
- Led the design of and facilitated a 3-week Data Storytelling teen curriculum and a 6-week Technology and Data curriculum for community residents (including print materials).
Adjunct Faculty, Emerson College, 2019
- Co-taught an undergraduate partnered studio course, “Participatory Design and Research” with the City of Boston’s Office of Returning Citizens.
Designer, Datawheel, 2015 - 2017
- Led the design of large-scale online data visualization platforms for national and regional governments in South America, a global consulting firm, and a renowned academic research lab.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- New Narratives: Reclaiming Asian Identity Through Story, Unbound Visual Arts, Virtual Exhibition Gallery
- if we want it, Art on the Marquee with Boston CyberArts Gallery, Boston, MA (collaboration with Sopheak Sam)
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston, MA (collaboration with Abe Tena). Postponed to 2021
- You must not stand in one place, Distillery Gallery, Boston, MA * (collaboration with Sopheak Sam)
- s(t)imulacrum, Emerging Media Lab, Emerson College
- Mosaic of Silence, Huret & Spector Gallery, Emerson College
- Culturalizing Science: Bio Art, EMW Gallery, Cambridge, MA * (collaboration with Hongye Wu)
- thick’ums, EMW Gallery, Cambridge, MA * (collaboration with Hongye Wu)
- Nowhere to Call Home, EMW Gallery, Cambridge, MA * (collaboration with Hongye Wu)
- The People First!, EMW Gallery, Cambridge, MA * (collaboration with Hongye Wu)
- Lives Not Numbers, EMW Gallery, Cambridge, MA * (collaboration with Hongye Wu)
* indicates curatorial project
Selected Honors and Awards
- President’s Citation, Emerson College, for highest achievement among graduate students
- The 21st Annual Webby Awards: Winner in Government & Civil Innovation; Nominee in Technical Achievement
- Kantar Information is Beautiful: Gold in Commercial Projects
- Leadership Rice Envision Grant, Rice University
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Tufts University
- Center for Advanced Virtuality, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dynamic Media Institute, Massachusetts College of Art and Design
- Emerging Media Graduate Conference, Boston University
- XR For Change Summit, Games for Change (G4C) Festival
- CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, ACM SIGCHI
- "The Smart, Connected Commonwealth: Data-Driven Research and Policy Across the Region” Conference, Boston Area Research Initiative (BARI)
Teng, M. Q., & Gordon, E. (in press). Therapeutic Virtual Reality in Prison: Participatory Design with Incarcerated Women. New Media & Society.
Teng, M. Q., Hodge, J., & Gordon, E. (2019, April). Participatory Design of a Virtual Reality-Based Reentry Training with a Women's Prison. In Extended Abstracts of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (p. CS14), May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. ACM. http://doi.org/10.1145/3290607.3299050
Gordon, E., Coleman, B., Harlow, J., Teng, M., & Meaning, L. (2018). Making a Civic Smart City: Designing for Public Value and Civic Participation [White paper].